Friday, August 11, 2006

Making our roads last

Today, I'm going to reflect on how do we ensure that the roads built last a lifetime....however, before I start off on this - I'd like to narrate a story.

I spent some time in Zurich during the implementation of a project. It was fairly early in the project and therefore I had time that I could spend early / late evenings. My routine would be to walk around Zurich lake all the way from the Elektrowatt station (there used to be one near the Japanese garden) to the station (Hauptbahnhoff) and back....

During that time, I'd spent a few facinating hours just looking at road laying (either repair or re-pavement) along the path and even took long deviations to watch this.

All road works used to happen post 10 PM so that it did not impact the regular traffic. What was really striking was the attention to detail. I'd want the person driving the road-roller get off the machine - go on his / her knees and pat the tarmac to ensure it was layed properly !!!

How I wished our own people had the dignity of labour to do the same

Coming to the topic of making our roads last - I'm told that the biggest issue is that of water percolation.

Thought for the day :
Can we ensure that the camber is done right ? That would mean the water would get off the tarmac into the sides as step 1 ?

1 comment:

  1. Ravi,

    I am trying to see it from a different angle, considering every project that we execute (laying a road from my prespective), I wonder how many times have I gone and checked a delivery I made to the client.

    This thought has left me thinking......hmmmmmm

    - Mukesh

    ReplyDelete