Monday, June 14, 2010

US "discovers" $ 1 Trillion worth of minerals in Afghanistan : Really ?

It has been a long time since I posted onto my Blog. Basically, have been trying to get off the earlier note that I used to blog on under "Inatech" to a more "open" topic.

What better topic than this ?

Was not at all surprised to hear of this discovery. Infact, the only question I have is - why now ? ie. Why is the press release timed for now ? Esp. the bit related to to how Afghan soils contain a LOT of Lithium ?
Maybe post the BP spill, US is really (I mean seriously) looking for a new-age Saudi ?

Over the last few years, I've read time and again how a new 'find' of natural resources spurs a frenzy of social unrest. Even in India, my guess is that a significant portion of the problems related to the insurgency (Naxals) is probably related to the proverbial war between development (eg. Mining) and sustenance (Local living).

Imagine the same set, but, from a global perspective ?
My guess is that Afghanistan has another set of challenges coming through - this time, it may actually be more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment