Thursday, December 9, 2010

The proposed ban on plastic pouches : Gutka + Paan

Whether or not this proves a boon to the individuals involved (those addicted to Gutka + Paan), this is certainly a welcome measure for the environment.

Over the last few years, I've seen rural India being peppered with this "pollution". Everywhere I go, from a nature resort to a religiously oriented city, I'm shocked and distressed to see these small plastic wrappers scattered around. Even yielding wetlands with paddy seems to not have been spared.

I had posted a few years earlier, that, I think this is probably the most polluting packing material around as they are too small to be picked and too large to travel down an animals throat unhindered.

Am especially scared of the new kind of packaging that seems to have aluminum foil enclosed with a thin enamel of plastic. These, I'm sure do not degrade at all ?

I now wish that this ban comes through at the earliest and makes a difference ?

No comments:

Post a Comment